Spark Quenchers are electronic components designed to prevent or substantially minimize the occurrence of arcing and noise generation in relay and switch contacts. Spark Quenchers consist of specially designed capacitors and resistors connected in series. Spark discharges and induced noise are absorbed over a wide range by the accumulation characteristic and impedance of the capacitor, while the RC time constant delays and averages surge voltage and oscillations.
OKAYA Spark Quenchers have the following characteristics which make it possible to use in a wide range of applications:
- The overload capacity is large.
- Not polarized -- can be used in both AC and DC circuits.
- Favorable effect on surge voltage and accompanying oscillations caused by contact chatter.
- Effective against spurious potentials having magnitudes below circuit voltage.
- Offer a high degree of protection for semiconductor devices, and as thyristors and SCRs.
- Improve dv/dt ratio.